Monday, December 3, 2012

Art Inspiration Mondays-Rosie the Riveter

Rosie the Riveter, the fictional character portrayed during World War II in America to empower women to join the workforce, is most commonly pictured in the propaganda picture published by the US Government.  

However, there were more personifications of Rosie during WWII, as the term became ubiquitous with the women who were able to leave their homes and join the workforce.  
Young woman working in a factory during WWII.
Photo from the National Parks Service

There was a popular song and picture of Rosie by Norman Rockwell that appeared on the Saturday Evening post.  This depiction is this week's "Art Inspiration Monday."


I did not know that this depiction existed until my art history class, and while I have the "We Can Do It!" sign hanging in my room, I like this picture of Rosie even more.  

She is not idealized, and with muscular arms, dirt all over her face, and jeans, she is a picture of a real woman working for her country.  Even better, her facial expression has a bit of attitude and shows that she doesn't care what she looks like, nor does she care what you think of her.  

While last week I picked a more serene picture because I felt really hectic, this week I wanted to pick a strong and empowering picture because it is the last week of classes and I could use a  boost to get through the last two weeks of the semester.  

Happy Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment