Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Semester's Worth of Music

Music always brings back memories.  Levels will forever remind me of crowded parties first semester freshman year, with everyone jumping up and down to "da na na na na na nana nanananana" and Call Me Maybe reminds me of barbecues, Lehigh beating Duke, and hearing it through my dorm window from off-campus houses last spring.  

What songs will always remind me of fall semester sophomore year?  There weren't any songs that had quite the popularity or "staying power" of Levels or Call Me Maybe, but plenty will remind me of memories of this semester. 


1. F**king Best Song Everrr-Wallpaper
One of my best friends posted this song on Facebook a week before we moved back to Lehigh in August, and it quickly became a favorite song to get ready to in the quad.



2. We are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together-Taylor Swift
Yes, the music video is downright creepy and many say the lyrics are very "middle school-esque", but the first single off of TSwift's new album is bound to be popular.  Her trademark relatable lyrics and easy sing along-ability (there needs to be a better word for that) made it a very popular song for rides back up the Hill.  



3. Gangnam Style-Psy
When I first heard this song, I did not understand the hype.  But then the purple team (which Alpha Gam was a part of) choreographed an awesome dance for Greek week for it and we won Greek week, so it grew on me.  It has been unescapable ever since, and I too now attempt to the hands crossed-alternating foot dance move.  Also, it was really freaking cool when the entire Lehigh stands did the dance during the Lehigh Lafayette game this year.   


Unfortunately I could not get the video to upload to the blog, but the link above goes to my Facebook, where I originally uploaded the video.  Cal from Timeflies did this mashup of all Lehigh references during their concert in Lehigh Laf-apalooza.  I got to be right next to the stage because I was on the staff of the concert, and it was a lot of fun (and while Cal did not sing to me like he did some of my friends, I was able to touch his leg) 



5. Home-Phillip Phillips 
This song will always remind me of the Fab Five during the 2012 London Olympics, but it was also really popular this semester.  It was on my sleep playlist and was one of my favorite songs to listen to while studying. 


6. Thrift Shop-Macklemore
This was absolutely the "Call Me Maybe" of this semester.  It didn't have quite the same "you can't escape it" feeling that Carly Rae Jepsen's hit had, but could be heard blasting from various off-campus houses every weekend.  


Other popular songs that didn't have the same sentimental attachment (also known as runners up)--Pursuit of Happiness Steve Aoki remix, Alive-Krewella, One More Night-Maroon 5, I Knew You Were Trouble-Taylor Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment