Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Election

Last night, our nation reelected President Obama.  [FUN FACT: this is the first time we've had three two term presidents since Jefferson, Madison, and Monroe]

Before writing this post, I thought a lot about how I wanted to comment on the election, and decided to make a wish list of things I hope President Obama accomplishes during his second term. There has been a lot of negativity and polarization in the media, my Facebook and Twitter feeds, and in conversations with my friends lately, so I want to take a more forward looking approach.  

At the end of Obama's second term, in 2016, I hope...
-I will have graduated from Lehigh and had many job offers because the economy is robust and companies are hiring again.  
-that "Obamacare" has not been put into place, but that a solution to the problems that currently exist in healthcare is found.  
-that our troops are safely out of Iraq and Afghanistan and that the nations have stable, safe, and fair governments established.  
-that gay marriage is legal and there is a significant culture change that is accepting of those who are gay.  
-America is on it's way to becoming energy independent and generating more environmentally friendly forms of energy. 
-that politicians, especially ones on the national level, recognize that they are serving the American people, not just looking out for themselves and their campaign contributors.  
-that government regulations do not cripple businesses. 
-that Americans move away from the partisanship and divisiveness perpetuated by the media. 

I know that these are not realistic goals, nor are they all ones that will be priorities for our leaders.  However, this is my wish list for America, and I hope that more progress can be made in the next four years than in the past four.  

No comments:

Post a Comment