Saturday, November 24, 2012

Crayon Art [Pinterest]

Crayon art, or melting crayons over a canvas to create patterns and cool designs, is one of the more popular crafts repinned on Pinterest.  Two of my friends did heart designs for display in their room and it's been something I have wanted to try for awhile.  


I saw this pin on Pinterest right before Thanksgiving break, so I decided to try an Alpha Gam version while I was home.  
I used red, yellow, and green crayons instead of rainbow because those are Alpha Gam's colors (the yellow is really buff, but it was close enough).  I bought two packs of Crayola 24 pack crayons and a small canvas and was set.  




The directions online did not offer any suggestions for anticipated problems, and I had a few.  I did not want to glue the crayons to the canvas because of space, so I taped them together and held them over the canvas as I held the hair dryer over them.  The coordination wasn't too hard, but the wax spurted out rather than dripped down the canvas.  

I used electrical tape because I liked the thickness, but it did not stick well to the canvas and the melted wax dripped where it wasn't intended to.  Also, the plastic from the electrical tape partially melted onto the canvas, so I was left with black letters instead of white.  I filled in the space that didn't have the electrical tape residue with black marker to make it neater.  

Here's the finished product!


It was a fun project that didn't require much artistic skill, but if I did it again I would use a different kind of tape and glue the crayons down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment